The museum is free to enter and you do not need to book to visit us or our exhibitions.
North Hertfordshire Museum has four galleries:
- explore the Discovering North Hertfordshire Gallery, which deals with the history of the district from the geological past to the present day;
- see changing exhibitions of art in the Exhibition Gallery;
- discover how people’s lives have changed over thousands of years in the Living in North Hertfordshire Gallery;
- see the football collection, objects from all around the world, items from our art collections, and animations of local folklore tales in the Terrace Gallery;
- view art exhibitions in the Arches Gallery, part of the Terrace Gallery.
We are a dog-friendly musuem: you are welcome to bring your dogs provided they are well behaved and on a lead.
The museum is a warm space. We are heated to 18° C and have comfortable chairs and sofas in our café where you are welcome to sit.
The museum café
Here is our current café menu (PDF).
If you have any questions about our café, please email us here.
Tuesday – Saturday: 10.30 am to 4.30 pm
Sunday: 11.00 am to 3.00 pm
Please note that the café closes an hour before the museum (3.30 pm Tuesday to Saturday and 2.00 pm Sunday).
The museum is fully accessible throughout. There is a platform lift from the entrance to the reception area suitable for wheelchairs and buggies, but not for mobility scooters. There is another platform lift from the reception level to the ground floor toilets and Town Hall.
There is a passenger lift inside the museum with access to all floors.
We have two wheelchairs available for visitors who may need them (for instance, for mobility scooter users who may not bring them into the platform lift).
There are large print versions of the text and labels in each gallery available.
We now have Braille guides to each gallery available. Please ask at the reception desk.
For each new temporary exhibition, we will aim to have a quiet opening for neurodivergent visitors.
Events and exhibitions
Our four display areas
Search, explore, donate
Workshops, Loans, Walks and Talks, Information for Teachers
Enquiries, Identification of Finds, Professional Archaeological Services
Our story, Contact us, Who’s Who, Strategy and Policies