North Hertfordshire Museum is a new museum next door to the completely refurbished Town Hall in Brand Street, Hitchin. We display collections from the old Letchworth and Hitchin museums and many items from around the District that have never before been on public display.
We are most grateful to the Heritage Lottery Fund for generously supporting the project.
Some of the items from the new displays are shown here.
|This may be the last red squirrel in Hitchin; it was rescued by Miss Hailey, an old lady who lived in The Biggin, about 1910, and is on display in the Discovering North Herts gallery.|
|Hitchin Marketplace 1841, oil painting of 1840 by Samual Lucas, on display in the Living in North Herts gallery|
|A nursing goddess, found in a child’s grave in Baldock in 1988, on display in the Living in North Herts Gallery|
|Suffragette rosette, about 1907, on display in the Terrace Gallery|
Who runs the museum?
The Museum Service of North Hertfordshire District Council manages North Hertfordshire Museum.
The service aims to increase the understanding and enjoyment of the culture, heritage and environment of North Hertfordshire, using our collections to tell the stories of the people who have lived and worked here.
Our vision is to provide a welcoming museum that plays an active role in the life of the District.
Keep in touch
Email North Hertfordshire Museum at: firstname.lastname@example.org