The two ‘Wimleys’ on Robert Norden’s map of 1637
The communities of Great and Little Wymondley lie between Hitchin and Stevenage. They were once separate parishes, each with detached portions in the south, which probably means that they were one single estate at some point. They have a rich archaeological heritage, which tells us some surprising things about what may have led to the creation of the two villages.
The account linked below tries to paint a picture of how the place developed up to the Norman Conquest in 1066. After that, the story is best followed in Noël Farris’s 1989 book The Wymondleys, although we will look at the churches, Wymondley Castle, Little Wymondley Priory and Purwell.
Read the longer account here.