Name/TitleThe Old Boot, inn sign
About this objectSign from The Old Boot Inn: a large boot painted on two pieces of wood pinned together. It was originally hung from the west side of the gable end of the inn.
It is rumoured that soldiers were billeted at the inn during the Napoleonic Wars when there were fears of a French invasion.
Period19th Century (1801-1900)
Medium and Materialswood
Measurementswhole height 610mm whole width 432mm
Credit LineLoaned by George F Newton, transferred to Hitchin Museum in 1951
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.