Name/TitleThe Boot Inn, 1889: etching
About this objectEtching depicting The Boot Inn (27 Bridge Street, Hitchin) in 1889. It depicts the north gable end of a cross-wing and the hall of a sixteenth- or seventeenth-century timber-framed house. A woman and child are standing in the street, while a man enters the door of the pub and another woman stands in the entry to the left (east). The pub became The Royal Oak in 1898, but the Museum Service has the original inn sign depicting a man’s boot.
It is rumoured that soldiers were billeted here during the Napoleonic Wars when there were fears of a French invasion.
MakerFrederick Landseer Maur Griggs RA
Medium and MaterialsOrganic | Paper
Measurements155 × 185 mm (card mount)
94 × 130 mm (printed area)
Credit LineW T Dobbs, 5 Queen's Road, Royston, Herts
Copyright LicenceAll rights reserved
Include tags such as place names, people, dates, events and colours. Use commas to separate multiple tags. e.g. Pablo Picasso, Madrid, red, 1930s.